Monday, June 29, 2009

Short one

As seventeenth century philosopher, Thomas Hobbes, once said "Leisure is the Mother of Philosophy" I have found myself holding rather closely to this truth.  But not in the way you'd imagine.  I've had very little time on my hands to sit about thinking due to a variety of reasons so there's my little excuse for my temporary leave of absence.

So it's been a long time.  I apologize, as always, for being so inconsistent.  

However, the last few days have had me pondering an interesting question.  Is it our instincts that make up who we are?  Or is it how we act on those instincts?

Basically I was wondering if we can quantify our personalities by the summation of our subconscious desires and fears as well as ones we choose not to act on for whatever reason.

Or is it perhaps what we do with those desires, how we subjugate them and navigate our emotions and thoughts that make up who we are?

I can't see it being a combination of both, really.  Of course how we express our desires is unique to each individual, but which one makes up who they are?

I guess this argument can be settled much like the one of whether dreams or real life constitute reality.

Just like with dreams and reality, the conclusion is that reality is defined as where there is continuity and where the most time is spent.

So like reality, I suppose wherever we spend the most time displaying our personalities and that would be what is accepted as who we are.

But like dreams, the side of us we hide still exists in a very real way.

No comments:

Post a Comment